Voorstraat 19


Voorstraat 19


west side large property 10 north of Oude Kerk

current use: 

De Drie Cimbellen

year built: 
ORA inv. 281-283 or 285 fol.: 
Maximiliaan de Raven 5v352v
family owner: 
Elisabet Maertens Leeuwenhoek
sale letter fol.: 
Johanna Franken 6q307

In the 1640's, this house was owned by Adolf Croesert, who was revealed in 2006 as the stern Burgher in Jan Steen's 1655 painting (right). The house in the painting is not this house on the Voorstraat.

Croesert sold this house on the Voorstraat (3v004v) to Adriaen Everts van Bleijswijck, who was married to Clara Abrahams Hogenhouck. She and Leeuwenhoek had the same great-grandmother, Neeltje Jans Hogenhouck.

Two owners later, it went to Johannes Swalmius (1664-1693), medical doctor and nephew of Leeuwenhoek's second wife Cornelia. Swalmius bought it from Hendrick van der Eem in 1693 and sold it to Willem Niclaes van Assendelft in 1694.

Assendelft sold it (5v352v) to Maximiliaan de Raven, who bought a package of four properties, three of them between the Markt and Beestenmarkt, from Dirck van Schie. In 1723, de Raven sold De Drie Cimbellen to Elisabeth Maertens Leeuwenhoek (1666-1743), van Schie's widow, for 8,000 gl. Rent 490/yr.

Elisabeth bequeathed 1/5 shares to daughters Judit, Magdalena Sara, Johanna, and Theodora Elisabeth van Schie and son Cornelis Leonardus van Amsterdam, in her will of 1736 07/25, notary Simon van der Sleyden.

Ownership is explained in detail in Plaatsingslijst van de collectie losse aanwinsten Delft, inventory numbers 466 to 499. Pieces concerning the property Voorstraat 19, traditionally named De Drie Cimbellen, 1563-1960. They were all contracts made in the presence of two magistrates (Schepenakte) or in two cases, so noted, private contracts.

The archive notes that the current parcel includes the former De Flapkan brewery and other originally neighboring parcels. In the photo on the left below the table, the red gate is visible. The cadaster map next to it shows the thin yellow passageway to a gate opening onto the Oude Delft. The brewers rolled the beer barrels down that passageway, creating a noise. The documents below from the mid-1600s show how much that noise bothered the neighbors.

Year Description Inv no
1563 Jan Jan Aperszoon, brewer, sold his house, property, and brewery to Baerthout Willemszoon 466
1591 Maritgen Adriaensdochter, widow of Willem IJsbrantszoon, brewer, sold the house and property, once the Vergulden Biekorf (Gilded Beehive) brewery to Dirck Franszoon Bugge. 467
1591 Meijnsgen Hendricxdochter, widow of IJsbrant Willemszoon, permitted Dirck Franszoon Bugge, brewer in De Drie Cimbellen, to break down a piece of her wall. 468
1600 Claes Jacobszoon and Dirck Franszoon came to an agreement about the gate between their houses. 469
1609 Catharina Bartoutsdochter van den Heuvel, daughter and only heir of Barthoudt Willemszoon van den Heuvel, sold the house, property and De Flapkan brewery to Pieter Maertenszoon, bricklayer. 470
1611 Dirck Franszoon Bugge sold the house, property and De Drie Cimbellen brewery to Reijnier Dircxzoon Verburch. 471
1612 Pieter Maertenszoon, bricklayer, sold to Reijnier Verburch, brewer in De Drie Cimbellen, a room, kitchen, cellar, and area with artesian well and privy, all part of the Plapkanne [sic] brewery, and the rights to a passageway to the Oude Delft. 472
1615 Pieter Maertenszoon, bricklayer, sold to Reijnier Verburch, brewer in De Drie Cimbellen, a house and property, part of the Flapkan brewery. 473
1630 Pieter Maertenszoon Schulenburch sold to Reijnier Verburch, brewer in De Drie Cimbellen, a strip of the De Flapkan property. 474
1641 Reijnier Verburch sold to Adolf Croesert the house, garden, and property, De Drie Cimbellen, with a gate to the Oude Delft and the mill, beerhouse, stable and other buildings of the former De Flapkan brewery. 475
1641 Adolf Croesert conveyed to Reijnier Verburch interest of 425 carolus guldens per year on his house De Drie Cimbellen. 476
1642 Adolf Croesert sold the house, property, and brewery De Drie Cimbellen to Adriaen van Bleijswijck. 477
1643 Notary van der Block declared at the request of Adriaen van Bleijswijck to have ordered Henrick Cloetingh, swordsmith, not to prevent passage through the gate, to which Cloetingh responded only to prevent the beer being conveyed through it. 478
1643 Adriaen van Bleijswijck, brewer in De Drie Cimbellen, made private contracts about beams in his south wall with Engeltgen Gooting, widow of captain 't Jarck, and Arent Jacobszoon Leeuwevelt, cabinetmaker. 479
1657 Nicolaes Couckebacker, Jacob Delff and Maerten Abrahams Hogenhouck, as contracted, have sold the effects and satisfied the creditors of Adriaen van Bleijswijck, sold De Drie Cimbellen to Willem Coordij with the gate to the Oude Delft and a part of De Flapkan. 480
1660 Willem Coordij, master-carpenter, sold De Drie Cimbellen to Hendrick van der Eem with a gate to Oude Delft and a part of De Flapkan. 481
1661-1681 pieces concerning agreements and conflicts between Hendrick van der Eem as owner of De Drie Cimbellen, and his neighbors 482
1693 Notary Cornelis Ouwendijck under the will of Miss Cunera van der Eem, daughter of Hendrick van der Eem, in the presence of sheriff, mayors, magistrates, and council, sold the house De Drie Cimbellen to Dr. Johannes Swalmius. 483
1694 Magdalena van Mierop, widow of Dr. Johannes Swalmius, sold the house De Drie Cimbellen to Willem Niclaaszoon van Assendelft. 484
1721 Magtildis Spiering Guldekroon, authorized by her husband Willem van Assendelft, sold the house De Drie Cimbellen to Maximiliaan de Raven. 485
1722 Maximiliaan de Rave sold the house De Drie Cimbellen to Elisabet van Leeuwenhoek, widow of Leonard van Amsterdam 486
1732 Personal contract between Elisabeth van Leeuwenhoek and Christoffel van der Sluijs specified that the south wall of her back kitchen shall remain a common wall. 487
1757 The heirs of Elisabeth van Leeuwenhoek sold De Drie Cimbellen to Johanna Franken born Hoogwerff at auction in 1756. 488



1832 Kadaster number: