Property in Delft owned by members
of Leeuwenhoek's extended family

Koornmarkt 41

Cornelis Maertens Hogenhouck (-1656) bought this property, the De Drie Hoefijzers brewery and house, in 1610 for 10,200 g. See Achter de Gevels, which lists him and his wife as residents and him and “juffr Hoogenhouck” as the owners. Historisch GIS has Margaretha and Jacob listed as owners. It went to the same owners as the others, first de Bock and Boudewijn van Leeuwen (separate sales letters), then the Keiser brothers (same sale letter) and then the three Overschie brothers (same sale letter). Is the bridge named after Boudewijn van Leeuwen?

Koornmarkt 41a

Cornelis Maertens Hogenhouck (-1656), brewer, bought this smaller property next to his brewery in 1652. He paid the 1585-1648 huizenprotocol OAD inv. 731 fol. 325V2 and the 1620-1632 verponding 449v4 and the 1632-1654 verponding 460r1. The back end of the prop is close enough to the back end of E0541 now Oude Delft 26 that the gardens may have been connected in the 1600's. This smaller one got merged into the larger E0538 at some point. All three have the same owners and sales letters after the Hogenhouck family sold it.

Koornmarkt 43A

When Adriaen Cornelisz van Rijck bought this property, named the Beugel (stirrup), and at some point changed its name to what it is called when he sold it in 1639, Keizerskroon (imperial crown). Van Rijck is listed as a malt maker with a corn merchant to the south and a brewer to the north. This is at odds with Achter the Gevels van Delft, which states that in 1610 Cornelis Hoogenhouck paid ƒ 10,200 for the building to the south, Kornmarkt 41, the Drie Hoefijzers brewery. When van Rijck sold the Keizerskroon to Pieter Hogenhouck 19 years later, van Rijck is listed as a brandy distiller. The brewer to the north has been succeeded by his son, a doctor. While Cornelis Maertens Hogenhouck is listed as the southern neighbor, so is a bookbinder. Pieter Abrahams Hogenhouck (-1679) bought it in 1639 for f 5000. He is listed as a merchant. When he sold it 12 years later to Nicolaes van der Mast, he is listed as a brewer. The same...

Koornmarkt 44

In the Delft archives, the Collectie Losse aanwinsten has three records for this house: 1649, 1783. and 1784. The April 27, 1649, transaction is recorded in charter number 6021. It covered both the house, by then called the Witte Hert, as well as its property and garden, and a gate, called Sackgen, that led to the Pontemarkt (Brabantse Turfmarkt). Nicolaes van der Mast sold it to Robbertus Junius, a preacher. Thonis Leeuwenhouck, Antony's grandfather, is noted as owning the adjoining property to the east, which was Brabantse Turfmarkt 71. Cornelis Sebastiaens van den Berch, who died in 1639, is noted as the previous owner, with no indication of when he sold it to van der Mast.

Koornmarkt 65

Johanna (Jannetge) Maertens Leeuwenhoek (1660-1713) got it 1708 02/22as the widow of Frans van Tricht, who got it 5f198v “with a house from the heirs of Frans Joris van der Houve”, who was brother-in-law of Cornelis Maartens Hogenhouck. She probably lived there either from when he bought it or when they were married.

Koornmarkt 72

Both properties have the same history. The smaller may have been a storehouse for either fabrics or beer or both (van Seters 1952). Great-grandfather Sebastian Cornelis van den Berch (-1605) paid the 1620 verponding 206r3a. In a transaction on 1619 07/01, notary Gerrit Adriaens van der Wel, He gave it to his daughter great-aunt Aeltge Sebastians van den Berch (-1649), who paid the 1632-1654 verponding 212v2a along with Jan Jacobs van den Berch, her nephew and Antony's uncle. Van Seters (1952) says that it was in the family of Antony's mother's side from 1543 - 1655, thus no sale letter. But van Hasselt didn't become a notary until 1658, so the sale to him must have been after van Seters' date. House name: De Bel or De Vergulde Bel

Koornmarkt 75

Maerten Jans Hogenhouck (1550-1613) and his wife and then widow Catharina van der Dussen owned this property from 1578-1619 Charter 3.833. He paid the Haardstedengeld in 1600. Next, Jacob Maertens Hogenhouck (-1638) bought it (not inherited?) for 6,222 g Charter 6434, “Duit op gulden 367/36 16 r1, 8/9”. Jacob lived there with his wife and then widow Catharina van der Made (-1651) from 1619 to 1652, when it was divided into three. He paid the Haardstedengeld in 1638. Maerten Jans and Jacob Maertens are listed on the 1585-1648 huizenprotocol OAD inv. 731 fol. 322r2 sale letter 2W132v or 2u132v as well as the 1620 verponding folio 452r2. Jacob Maertens paid the 1632-1654 verponding folio 462r4, listed on three separate lines: with the small passage of Willem Jacobs Delff and his packhouse on the Oude Delff rented to the West Indies Company; was divided into three parts, folio 462v 13 g and folio 465 12 g and 12 g to Jacoba Haes...

Koornmarkt 79

Maerten Jans Hoogenhouck (1550-1613), Jacob Maertens Hoogenhouck (-1638) paid the 1585-1648 huizenprotocol 2W132v as well as the 1620 verponding 452r1. Jacob Maertens paid the 1632 - 1654 verponding 462r4, recorded on three lines: “mett hett plaetsgen ende doorgang van Willem Jacobs zn Delff ende sijn packhuys aen de Oude Delff aen de West Indische compagnie verhuyrt; is verdeelt in drie pertijen fo: 462v xiiii gld ende fo 465 12 gld ende 12 gld aen Jacoba Haes ende Maria Groenewegen ingegaen met mey 1632; is bij deselve vercofft in drie perthijen als aen”

Koornmarkt 81

Jacob Maertens Hogenhouck (-1638) got it by decree. He paid the 1585-1648 huizenprotocol 322r1 as well as the 1620 verponding 452r1. Three owners later, it was purchased by Adriaen Johannes Swalmius (1689-1747) the lawyer. His first wife died out of here in 1714, as well as a child in 1720, but by the time he died in 1747, he was living in Schiedam.

Kruisstraat 5 t/m 69

Huijch Thonis Leeuwenhoek owned this, perhaps as a rental property?